Open Positions at Bigbelly
Bigbelly is the world’s leader in Smart Waste Management Solutions. Our products are specifically designed to dramatically increase the operational efficiency for our customers while beautifying their public space in a way that produces measurable reductions to our customer’s carbon footprint. Our products leverage smart technologies, such as IoT, along with new and traditional manufacturing and materials.
We are looking to add a creative, self-starting mechanical engineer to our current team. This position is based in our Needham, MA office and offers the option of working remotely a few days of the week. Ideally you have experience in design for manufacturing on products using sheet metal and molded plastics and have a proven track record of working closely with contract manufacturers to successfully launch new products.
This role plays a critical part of Bigbelly’s strategy of working with Tier 1 manufacturing partners for our new product launches and continuous refinement of existing products. This position does require some domestic and international travel.
Bigbelly has an exciting development roadmap for expanding our current capabilities on both the smart physical hardware and our integrated digital media platform. This position plays a critical role in executing that plan.
You need to be as comfortable working in a SolidWorks CAD mechanical design environment as you are working with actual prototype parts in an Engineering Lab environment. This position will require you to work hands-on with prototypes and conduct extensive testing of new ideas.
- Design, develop, and launch new product features and accessories on the Bigbelly solar-powered trash compactor
- Lead product development projects through every phase of the product development process: conceptualization and CAD, DFMA, prototype fabrication, product testing, manufacturing support, and product launch
- Use SolidWorks to design sheet metal and plastic components and complex electromechanical assemblies
- Create and update mechanical drawing files using SolidWorks
- Develop work instruction documents and interface with vendors and Tier 1 manufacturing partner
- Develop product test protocols, build test fixtures, and analyze data
- Use common shop tools to fabricate prototypes and test new ideas
- Drive cost reduction through new design and new manufacturing techniques
- Increase product reliability by diagnosing issues and designing robust solutions
- Presenting project deliverables to engineering and management teams
- Domestic and international travel (as needed) to support manufacturing and product launch activities
Qualifications and Experience
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering (required)
- 3+ years of experience in product design, specifically DFMA (required)
- Proficient in SolidWorks design software (required)
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in a team environment (required)
- Sheet metal and plastic part design experience (required)
- Experience leading and managing multiple concurrent projects
- Excellent attention to detail and solid follow through (required)
- Ability to build prototypes and test fixtures using common shop tools (required)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills (required)
- Working knowledge of electronics and comfort using an oscilloscope and DMM (required)
- Extensive manufacturing engineering experience (preferred)
- Product reliability and testing experience (preferred)
- SolidWorks PDM experience is a plus
- Experience with BOM management, Arena (bom.com) experience is a plus
- Valid passport and ability to travel internationally (required)
- Challenging Careers: Work with industry leading technology, alongside the smartest people, for some of the largest cities in the world.
- Great Work Environment: Open office space, dynamic culture, paid vacation & company holidays.
- Compensation & Benefits: Competitive compensation. Health, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life insurance coverage, plus 401(k) with company match.
- Opportunity to Give Back: Two paid volunteer days per year to spend out in the community with your organization of choice.
Bigbelly is an Equal Opportunity Employer
*Based in Needham, MA
Bigbelly is an equal opportunity employer.